Hey everyone! NTU admission deadline is coming up and i need your help in reviewing the scholarship essay that i made. All comments and critics are gladly accepted. Thanks for all the help in advance!
always aim for the best
There are many things that I regret doing in the past, but there are many more that I regret not doing.
Some years ago, I used to be what people would refer to as "average". My grades were acceptable, though I had no special talents that I could be proud of. Since young, I had always been a fast learner. Had I put in more effort and hard work to strive to become the best in class, I could have. Unfortunately the past-me thought otherwise. I only used that gift merely to reduce the amount of time I had to spend learning.
When my parents urged me to apply to a prestigious high school, I was more than reluctant to do so. Not only were my existing friends applying for a different, more expensive school, but also it would mean that I have to study harder to keep up my grades, as the school to which I was applying was protuberant for having paramount standards for grades.
Not really expecting any outcome, I studied, took the exam, and to my surprise, I passed the selection. That experience had a tremendous impact on my life. I learnt that nothing is truly impossible, and I will not know the outcome before I try. Now, not only do I perform better academically, I also learnt to organize things based on their importance in addition to giving every challenge my all.
"Aim small, miss small" is a saying in which I strongly believe. It has inspired me to always aim for the best and hence I am certain that I am well suited to face the challenges that NTU will offer me. I am confident that the values I possess is a great asset to be had by NTU.
Hi, I think you are so modest in the essay. You should not include sentence like" I used to be what people would refer to as "average". My grades were acceptable, though I had no special talents that I could be proud of". Be more confident and talk about your shining points instead. Also, it is better to present yourself as one with clear purpose and strong determination.
Benedict, if you want to lose out on the scholarship, then this is the essay that you should submit to the review committee. You have such a negative and defeatist attitude in this essay that it sounds like you are not interested in pursuing an academic degree nor do you value academic excellence. There are no admirable values or beliefs in this essay that would encourage the reviewer to consider your application as one that is worthy of a second look. Actually, after the first sentence, it isn't even worth a continued reading. This is a failure as a scholarship application essay. However, it does have one saving grace. The last paragraph is perfect for the opening statement of your revised essay. It allows you to open the new version on a hopeful note. Think of what makes you a good student and what academic accomplishments you have because of your beliefs and your admirable traits as a student. Think about what makes you special as a person, as a student, as a son. Use those traits to develop your more appropriate and revised essay. Hopefully, it will sound less like gloom and doom (as this one is) and more sunshine and silver lining in terms of presentation.
Thank you so much for the feedback and ideas. Now that you have said it, it does seem too pessimistic and gloomy. I shall come up with better ideas, as well as add a more positive touch to it. Will keep you posted.
The new Nanyang Scholarship is now available on offer for all new undergraduate programme of all nationalities. The scholarship will cover the years of study at NTU.
The Nanyang Technological University (Abbreviation: NTU) is an autonomous research university in Singapore. NTU is consistently ranked amongst the world’s best universities in all of the major college and university rankings and is regarded as one of the top universities in the world.
For applicants whose native language is not English, a good TOEFL score is required. Test dates must be within 2 years or less from the date of your application. IELTS may be submitted in place of TOEFL.
- Application Deadline: The same closing date for application for admission applies.
- Course Level: Scholarships are available to pursue undergraduate programme.
- Study Subject: Scholarships are awarded in any of the courses offered by the university.
- Scholarship Award: Nanyang Scholarship covers up to the normal programme duration on condition that the scholarship holder maintains a record of good academic performance and exemplary conduct.
- Full coverage of subsidized tuition fees (after Tuition Grant).
- Living allowance of S$6,000 per academic year.
- Book allowance of S$500 per academic year.
- Accommodation allowance of up to S$2,000 per academic year.
(Applicable to scholarship holders who reside in NTU hostels only.)
- A travel grant of S$5,000 for an overseas programme (one-off).
- Computer allowance of S$1,500 (one-off).
- Settling-in allowance of S$250 (one-off).
- Priority for Overseas Programme.
- Participation in Scholars Orientation Programme, Scholars Award Ceremony, Outreach Programmes, and Eminent Speaker Series.
- No bond is attached to the Nanyang Scholarship apart from the three-year bond applicable to all Singapore PRs and international students under the MOE Tuition Grant Scheme.
- Nationality: All nationalities
- Number of Scholarships: Numbers not given.
- Scholarship can be taken in Singapore
Eligibility for the Scholarship:
Eligible Countries: Students of all nationalities are eligible to apply.
Entrance Requirements: To be eligible for this scholarship you must meet the following requirements:
- Open to all nationalities.
- Successful awardees should read a full-time undergraduate degree programme. The scholarship will cover the years of study^ at NTU.
- Possess outstanding Singapore-Cambridge GCE ‘A’ level, Diploma awarded by a polytechnic in Singapore, NUS High School Diploma, IB Diploma or Year 12 equivalent qualifications.
- Excellent co-curricular records.
- Strong leadership qualities and potential.^ For the Biomedical Sciences & Chinese Medicine Programme, the scholarship will cover only the first three years of study in NTU.
English Language Requirements: For applicants whose native language is not English, a good TOEFL score is required. Test dates must be within 2 years or less from the date of your application. IELTS may be submitted in place of TOEFL.
How to Apply: The same application period for admissions applies. Scholarships are awarded based on competition amongst shortlisted candidates.
Applicants are required to submit their application for admission before submitting their application for the scholarship.
Applicants with the following qualifications:
Singapore-Cambridge GCE ‘A’ level
Diploma awarded by a polytechnic in Singapore
NUS High School Diploma
- The scholarship application form can be found at the link ‘Apply for Scholarship’ at the end of your online application for admission. You are required to login with the application number assigned to you.
If you have reserved an undergraduate degree programme in NTU, you can login here to access the scholarship application form.
- Applicants are required to submit the following after completing your application form:
- Upload a recent passport-size photo (digital image).
- Submit a referee’s appraisal online. The appraisal is to be completed by your school teacher, who must not be your family or relative. After you have submitted your scholarship application, you will be provided with a URL to be forwarded to your school teacher. When you are passing the link to your teacher, please inform him/her of your NTU application number and Date of Birth, as he/she will need the information to submit the appraisal online. Your school teacher is to complete the online appraisal form and submit it within 7 days of your scholarship application. If your teacher is not able to submit it online within 7 days and needs more time, please inform him/her to submit as soon as possible (preferably not more than 3 weeks from your date of scholarship application). Note that only one appraisal may be submitted online to support your application.
Applicants with Year 12 equivalent results:
- Click here to apply for the scholarship with your assigned application number.
- Applicants are required to submit a recent passport-size photo (digital image) online after completing your application form.
- Submit a referee’s appraisal online. The appraisal is to be completed by your school teacher, who must not be your family or relative. After you have submitted your scholarship application, you will be provided with a URL to be forwarded to your school teacher. When you are passing the link to your teacher, please inform him/her of your NTU application number and Date of Birth, as he/she will need the information to submit the appraisal online.Your school teacher is to complete the online appraisal form and submit it within 7 days of your scholarship application. If your teacher is not able to submit it online within 7 days and needs more time, please inform him/her to submit as soon as possible (preferably not more than 3 weeks from your date of scholarship application). Note that only one appraisal may be submitted online to support your application.